GIAC is pleased to announce our new Digital Badging Program! Click here to learn more.

Renewal: Published Research


Main Option - 36 CPEs

Published Works

You may earn 36 CPEs by submitting a published work related to information assurance. Information Assurance book or technical research paper, including a GIAC Gold Paper, must be written and published within two years prior to your certification expiration date.

36 CPEs awarded for publishing a research paper/book (18 CPEs for co- authoring)

  • Research papers or books completed and/or published after the two year mark of your certification may be submitted for recertification. Authoring a paper or book at least 18 pages of written text can earn you 36 CPEs. Co-authoring a paper or book will earn up to 18 CPEs. GIAC Gold Paper
  • GIAC Gold Paper
    • The GIAC Gold program.
      Gold Papers do not need to be certification-specific, however, it must be relevant to the certification you are renewing
    • For example, you may write a GCIH Gold Paper for a GCIH renewal, however, a GCIH Gold Paper could be submitted for a GSEC renewal
    • If you have not previously earned GIAC Gold status for the certification you wish to renew, you may register through the "Certification History" section of your GIAC portal by clicking the "Go Gold" link next to the appropriate certification.
    • You are responsible for the $499 Gold fee in addition to the certification renewal fee, once your Gold application has been approved.
      • If you have written a Gold paper for the certification you wish to renew within 2 years of that certification's expiration date, you do not need to write another Gold paper for credit.
    • Submit proof of approved and published Gold paper, such as the link to your paper in the SANS reading room and a copy of your paper with your online CPE submission.
  • Published Books or Research within the information assurance industry and relevant to your GIAC certification:
  • Submit proof of your significant contribution to a published book.
    • Your submission include the section(s) of the book you were responsible for
  • Submit proof of contribution to a research paper published in a peer reviewed journal, such as IEEE.

* Please note that all submissions must be in English.


Please contact