GIAC certifications require renewal every four years. Registration is enabled at the 2-year mark prior to your certification expiration date.
We offer several options to demonstrate ongoing competency in the Information Assurance field and maintain your GIAC certification. Each activity has its own CPE value and can be used towards 1 to 5 certification renewals, depending on the activity. Please click on individual links below for more information.
The certification maintenance fee is a non-refundable $479 payment, due once every four years at the time of registration.
It is your responsibility to submit CPE information and documentation in advance of your certification's expiration date. To ensure your application is processed in time, please allow 30 days for processing, from the time of completed submission.
Need step-by-step guidance on the renewal process? Take a look at our how-to guide!
|Can be applied to...
Primary Options: Affiliated Activities
Primary Options: Non-Affiliated Career Development Activities
Requirements for CPE Submission Approval
- Review the ‘CPE Categories’ table above to determine the correct category for your completed training or activity.
- Ensure your submission meets the guidelines and supporting documentation requirements of the applicable category before submitting for approval.
- Submit, assign, and justify CPEs to renewing GIAC certification(s) by following the step-by-step instructions provided in the sections below.
- We suggest submitting your CPEs at least 30 days prior to your certification's expiration date to allow for review and approval.
- Please Note: Applications that are incomplete, incorrectly categorized, or lack the required supporting documentation will be rejected. All supporting documentation must be in English.
- From your Account Dashboard, click 'Certification History.'
- Click 'Manage All Renewal CPEs'
- Click 'Submit New CPEs'
- Select the applicable CPE Category and Subcategory.
- Enter your information in the fields on the submission form.
- Click 'Submit Request' for CPE Credit.
- Attach your required supporting documentation.
- Add any additional supporting documentation if needed.
- Click 'Submit Request' for CPE credit.
Assigning & Justifying Your CPEs:
- Once logged in to your account, click 'Certification History.'
- Click 'Manage All Renewal CPEs.'
- Click on the individual link(s) that say 'Assign.'
- Complete the CPE Justification by clicking the 'Justify' link.
- Indicate how the CPE activity applies toward your renewal.
- Click 'Justify Assignment to Certification.'
Instructions for Renewal Registration & Maintenance Fees
The ability to complete registration starts at the 2-year mark prior to your certification expiration date. To begin the registration process, log in to your online account and navigate to your Account Dashboard:
- Click ‘Certification History’
- Select the ‘Purchase Renewal’ button
- Choose your renewal method:
- Click the 'Renew with CPEs' option to complete your renewal using your assigned CPEs.
- Click the 'Take Exam Again' option to renew by taking the current exam for your certification.
- Once CPE requirements are fulfilled and renewal fee paid in full, your GIAC certification will extend 4 years from its current expiration date, not from the date of renewal.
- If your GIAC certification is already past its expiration date, contact email@example.com for your options.
Multiple Certification Discounts
Registering for multiple GIAC certification renewals in a two-year period qualifies for a discount. The first renewal is $479, and all additional renewal registrations received within the following two-year period are $239 each.
The two-year mark begins on the date your first renewal registration has been paid. It is not based on certification expiration dates or the date of renewal.
Your certification renewal includes an updated set of digital course books, audio files, and any relevant lab files.*
- When choosing to 'Renew with CPEs' hardcopy course books are available by selecting the box for 'Shipping' on your registration to generate the associated shipping fee.
- When choosing the 'Take Exam Again' method, hardcopy course books are automatically included along with an associated shipping fee.
- Customs duties or import fees may apply to delivery of hardcopy course books. Such fees vary by country and are not included on SANS or GIAC invoices.
- Any additional hardware, such as F-Response and the Windows License, is not included.
- Digital courseware can be accessed by selecting the 'Course Material Downloads' link under the My Online Training heading from your Account Dashboard.
- For questions on renewal courseware & file access, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
*GIAC Certifications in abeyance do not have affiliated courseware included with renewal.
Maintaining Your Portfolio Certification
To keep your GSP or GSE status, the minimum number of certifications to hold the Portfolio must remain active:
GSP 3 Practitioner Certifications and 2 Applied Knowledge Certifications
GSE 6 Practitioner Certifications and 4 Applied Knowledge Certifications
Earning a Portfolio Certification will extend and co-terminate all of your active certifications to the date of your portfolio award.
All information submitted under certification maintenance is carefully reviewed by our staff and subject to an audit. Renewal candidates who knowingly and willingly submit false information or forged documents will be reported to the Ethics Council for review. Possible sanctions could include revocation of all GIAC certifications or barring from participation in GIAC community events.
For any ethic concerns or to report ethic issues please visit our code of ethics page: Code of Ethics.