- Cyber security terminology
- The basics of computer networks
- Security policies
- Incident response
- Introduction to cryptographic principles
Who is GISF for?
- Anyone new to cyber security who needs an introduction to security fundamentals
- Non-IT security managers
- Professionals with basic computer and technical knowledge
- Career changers to cyber security
- Managers, information security officers, and system administrators
- Anyone who writes, implements, or must adhere to enterprise security policy
GISF With CyberLive
GIAC knows that cyber security professionals need:
- Discipline-specific certifications
- Practical testing that validates their knowledge and hands-on skills
In response to this industry-wide need, GIAC developed CyberLive - hands-on, real-world practical testing.
CyberLive testing creates a lab environment where cyber practitioners prove their knowledge, understanding, and skill using:
- Actual programs
- Actual code
- Virtual machines
Candidates are asked practical questions that require performance of real-world-like tasks that mimic specialized job roles.
- 1 proctored exam
- 75-79 Questions
- Time Limit of 2-3 Hours
- Minimum passing score of 71%
Note: GIAC reserves the right to change the specifications for each certification without notice. Based on a scientific passing point study, the passing point for the GISF exam has been determined to be 72% for all candidates receiving access to their certification attempts on or after June 12th, 2018. To verify the format and passing point of your specific certification attempt, read the Certification Information found in your account at https://exams.giac.org/pages/attempts.
NOTE: All GIAC Certification exams are web-based and required to be proctored. There are two proctoring options: remote proctoring through ProctorU, and onsite proctoring through PearsonVUE. Click here for more information.
GIAC certification attempts will be activated in your GIAC account after your application has been approved and according to the terms of your purchase. Details on delivery will be provided along with your registration confirmation upon payment. You will receive an email notification when your certification attempt has been activated in your account. You will have 120 days from the date of activation to complete your certification attempt.
Exam Certification Objectives & Outcome Statements
- AAA and Access Controls The candidate will demonstrate an understanding of access controls and effective authentication, authorization and accountability.
- Application Security The candidate will demonstrate an understanding of securing applications from malware and other common threats.
- Computer Math The candidate will demonstrate an understanding of foundational numbering systems.
- Cryptographic Algorithms and Attacks The candidate will demonstrate an understanding of cryptographic algorithms.
- Fundamentals of Cryptography The candidate will demonstrate an understanding of cryptography and its application.
- History of Cryptography The candidate will demonstrate an understanding of cryptography throughout history..
- Network Addressing and Protocols The candidate will demonstrate an understanding of network addressing and protocols
- Network Attacks The candidate will demonstrate a foundational understanding of network attacks.
- Network Communication Fundamentals The candidate will demonstrate an understanding of network concepts and terminology.
- Network Security Technology The candidate will demonstrate an understanding of countermeasures and technologies employed to minimize the associated risks from attacks.
- Risk Management Principles and Security Policy The candidate will demonstrate an understanding of fundamental information security and risk management concepts as well as the components of effective policy creation and awareness programs.
- Systems Security The candidate will demonstrate an understanding of securing systems from common threats.
- Wireless Security Technology The candidate will demonstrate an understanding of wireless technologies as well as the defenses employed to minimize the associated risks from wireless attacks.
- Training is available in a variety of modalities including live training and OnDemand
- Practical work experience can help ensure that you have mastered the skills necessary for certification
- College level courses or self paced study through another program or materials may meet the needs for mastery.
- Get information about the procedure to contest exam results.
- These tests are a simulation of the real exam allowing you to become familiar with the test engine and style of questions.
- Practice exams are a gauge to determine if your preparation methods are sufficient.
- The practice bank questions are limited so you may encounter the same question on practice tests when multiple practice tests are purchased.
- Practice exams never include actual exam questions.
- Purchase a GISF practice test here.
- GIAC recommends leveraging additional study methods for test preparation.