- Network architecture, network protocols, and network protocol reverse engineering
- Encryption and encoding, NetFlow analysis and attack visualization, security event & incident logging
- Network analysis tools and usage, and open source network security proxies
Who is GNFA for?
- Incident response team members
- Forensic Analysts/Specialists
- Threat hunters
- Law enforcement officers, federal agents, and detectives
- SOC personnel
- Information security practitioners and managers
- Network defenders and engineers
- Information technology professionals
GNFA with CyberLive
GIAC knows that cyber security professionals need:
- Discipline-specific certifications
- Practical testing that validates their knowledge and hands-on skills
In response to this industry-wide need, GIAC developed CyberLive - hands-on, real-world practical testing.
CyberLive testing creates a lab environment where cyber practitioners prove their knowledge, understanding, and skill using:
- Actual programs
- Actual code
- Virtual machines
Candidates are asked practical questions that require performance of real-world-like tasks that mimic specialized job roles.
- 1 proctored exam
- 66 questions
- 3 hours
- Minimum passing score of 70%
Note: GIAC reserves the right to change the specifications for each certification without notice. Based on a scientific passing point study, the passing point for the GNFA exam has been determined to be 70% for all candidates receiving access to their certification attempts on or after December 24th, 2016. To verify the format and passing point of your specific certification attempt, read the Certification Information found in your account at https://exams.giac.org/pages/attempts.
NOTE: All GIAC Certification exams are web-based and required to be proctored. There are two proctoring options: remote proctoring through ProctorU, and onsite proctoring through PearsonVUE. Click here for more information.
GIAC certification attempts will be activated in your GIAC account after your application has been approved and according to the terms of your purchase. Details on delivery will be provided along with your registration confirmation upon payment. You will receive an email notification when your certification attempt has been activated in your account. You will have 120 days from the date of activation to complete your certification attempt.
Exam Certification Objectives & Outcome Statements
- Common Network Protocols The candidate will demonstrate and understanding of the behavior, security risks and controls of common network protocols.
- Encryption and Encoding The candidate will demonstrate an understanding of techniques and practices used to encode and encrypt common network traffic and common attacks on these controls.
- NetFlow Analysis and Attack Visualization The candidate be familiar with the use of NetFlow data and information sources to identify network attacks.
- Network Architecture The candidate will be be familiar with the process to design and deploy a network employing diverse transmission and collection technologies.
- Network Protocol Reverse Engineering The candidate will be familiar with the tools and techniques required to analyze diverse protocols and data traversing a network environment.
- Open Source Network Security Proxies The candidate will demonstrate an understanding of the architecture, deployment, benefits and weaknesses of network security proxies, common log formats and flow of data in a network environment.
- Security Event and Incident Logging The candidate be familiar with diverse log formats, protocols and the security impact of the event generating processes. They will demonstrate an understanding of the configuration and deployment strategies to secure and position logging aggregators and collection devices throughout a network environment.
- Wireless Network Analysis The candidate will be familiar with the process to identify and control the risks associated with wireless technologies, protocols and infrastructure.
- Training is available in a variety of modalities including live training and OnDemand
- Practical work experience can help ensure that you have mastered the skills necessary for certification
- College level courses or self paced study through another program or materials may meet the needs for mastery.
- Get information about the procedure to contest exam results.
- These tests are a simulation of the real exam allowing you to become familiar with the test engine and style of questions.
- Practice exams are a gauge to determine if your preparation methods are sufficient.
- The practice bank questions are limited so you may encounter the same question on practice tests when multiple practice tests are purchased.
- Practice exams never include actual exam questions.
- Purchase a GNFA practice test here.
- GIAC recommends leveraging additional study methods for test preparation.